With just under a month to end for 2011 to end I am thinking what does 2012 hold for me in terms of my work. For the last five years I have been hearing and talking about Social Media and how it has connected everyone and how people are becoming more and more Social Media savvy, so what’s next ? Is the first thing that I am trying to figure out. As I think I share some of my thoughts on what we could see in 2012 in terms of Social Media.
- Google+ vs. Facebook (The all out war) : 2012 will see Google+ and Facebook going out against each other heavily. Facebook is way ahead at this time but Google+ is slowly moving itself up. Some have said that Google+ is just a Facebook copy and that’s where I feel it is a big threat to Facebook. Google+ is just waiting for that one mistake from Facebook, it already has most of the features that Facebook has so one dreaded mistake from Facebook and you could see users switching to Google+. Having said this Facebook is also aware about this and that’s why you see Facebook trying to improve and better itself in every way.
- Social Commerce Sky Rocketing : As I said last five years saw brands getting connected themselves to Social platforms and given the size of communities that brands have online now you can expect some interesting Social commerce solutions for 2012 to turn these people into sales.
- Focus On Better Content : Brands will start focusing on much better and competitive content apart from the regular games and blogs to engage the target audience across the different social profiles. 2012 could see more meaningful and smarter content creation.
- Social Search Changes : Social search is expected to change in 2012 in a big ways with platforms such as Google putting a social layer across all their search results with the +1 button and Google+. With the huge amounts of information being shared socially, you will see Twitter and Facebook also making moves to crack the Social search layer to provide a better customer service to the end user.
- Social TV : This is the one thing that I expect to be the big innovation for 2012, Apple has already rumored to launch a television set and when they launch a new product, they usually reinvent and define an entire industry. If this works out we could see internet and traditional television colliding with great force in 2012 and it will shape the way we all see consumer media.
- Social and only Social : Lastly Social will become default, with most of the brands now on social platforms 2012 will become the year where social media is accepted as something that is here to stay and will become a default business function. If you are building a new product, you simply won’t be able to ignore social media and channels and opportunities that it opens for you.